Monday, May 31, 2010

The Night Dive Part 2



 So it was dark now, the wind was subsiding, and we were gearing up for our night dive. The moon was not quite full but it was still bright. Once again I was the first to hit the water, I was very excited to see the underwater world in the dark. For those of you that are unfamiliar with diving, we did have lights, and we also had glow sticks attached to our tank valves so the instructors could keep track of the divers. I knew in seconds that this was not going to be like anything I have done up to this point in my life.

 Descending down the anchor line to the wreck through the army of non-stinging jellyfish, was the most surreal experience of my life. When the jellyfish crossed paths with the light beams it was mesmerizing. The best way I can explain it is that each one had what appeared to be 4 different electrical currents running through it, with each current being a different color. Humans will never be able to come close to recreating the beauty that our oceans do!

 Being the first one on the wreck again, and also knowing that the sharks were there, I was very alert and the jellyfish were not on my mind anymore. I scanned in every direction to make sure that nothing was sneaking up on me. Atlantic Spadefish were covering the Hyde. I had absolutely no idea that this species of fish got so large. They were everywhere, and they were not shy, I guess they knew that we would not eat them but the Sand Tiger Sharks that were hunting certainly would.

 Our group of six divers explored the wreck, this time not going all the way to the bottom, we stayed on the deck of the wreck. To my dismay I only saw one shark on this dive, but they were there! As a group, we covered our lights and let our eyes adjust to the dark. From a depth of around 65 ft. you could make out the moon, which I thought was amazing. Waving your hands around produced the phosphorescence, a very psychedelic effect.

 Heading back towards the anchor line we swam through a school of Spadefish that created a blackout, or I guess a fish out. One of the larger ones swam into my mask and almost knocked it off. The fish were everywhere, I actually felt bad, because we were guests in their house, and shining lights all over the place. Time to ascend now...

 I'll never forget breaking the surface and seeing the moon, stars, black sky and ocean. Truly a special experience! The 18 mile trip back to Wrightsville Beach was perfect, I was hoping that it would never end, but then I ran out of beer! Back at the Bridge Tender Marina we unloaded all of our gear, and beers started flowing again. Almost like an angel appearing from heaven Chris walked down the dock with a Pizza from Slice of Life. I can say with confidence that those 2 slices of pizza were the best I have had since I moved away from New York 8 years ago.

 If swimming with sharks at night sounds fun or just diving in general, please contact Aquatic Safaris & Divers Emporium. You won't regret it!
logo
http://www.aquaticsafaris.com/
                            



No comments:

Post a Comment