Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Club

 I am very excited about the club that has started here to bring freedivers and other spearfishing enthusiasts together. A name has yet to be decided, but don't worry it will be very cool, I promise! I missed the first meeting but will never miss another one. I attended the second meeting this past Friday. It was really nice meeting other freedivers. Actually I am an aspiring freediver, not quite a freediver yet!

 At the meeting on Friday night Ashley and Ren, instructors from Evolve Freediving, and co founders of the club, led everyone in the group through a proper breathing up technique. I held my breath for 2:15. Many others did much better than I, including my super athlete girlfriend. Needless to say everyone shattered their own expectations. I have never been so excited in my life, next month I am going to take their course, and hopefully become a certified freediver.

 Freediving is the purest way to explore the last great frontier, the ocean. Pushing the limits of what humans think they can do, is very intriguing. Most people, including myself, until recently, never even dreamed of staying underwater on a breath hold for 2 or 3 minutes and well beyond that. With proper training I hope to achieve the goal of a 3 minute dive in the next year. I feel like it is achievable; we will see! For those of you that have never seen any freediving check out the inseatv video player right here on this blog. I can promise you it is going to blow your mind! Ryan is also one of the co-founders of the club.

 Our area is becoming quite the hot bed for freedive spearfishing. I feel extremely fortunate to have met the people I have met when I met them! Ren, Ashley and Ryan have been true ambassadors to the sport that they love. It is so refreshing to know that there are people like them in this world, when it is full of the million dollar athletes who could care less about the sport that has provided them with everything! They have been more than helpful and informative as I get ready to pursue freediving. The sport truly is better off for having them involved!

 Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment